Happy Black History Month from Pathos to you!
Here at Pathos, we love the month of February. Nothing quite holds us during the month of Valentines like a good work of literature. During this month of celebrating both our loved ones, and the incredible Black leaders that this country was built on the backs of, we want to give a little gift of our own back to you. Here are some writing prompts to get you through to March!
- You’ve just received an anonymous Valentine’s Day card in the mail. When you open it, the letter inside is very endearing and you can’t help but get excited about this mystery secret admirer. There’s only one thing a little off about this letter…
- While taking a nap in your room, you hear a loud pounding on your front door. You open it up to see Martin Luther King Jr. standing outside. He’s out of breath and holding a document in his hands. He pushes the document into your shocked face and says, “You’ve got to help me. They found out I wasn’t dead.”
- Write a story in the format of a text conversation of someone trying to break up with their partner of 3 years because they found someone else who is not nearly as good of a partner but they are just a few inches taller than their current partner.
- Write a song about two unlikely lovers falling in love (like a frog and a bumble bee).
- Write a short story from the point of view of a young child helping their parent get ready for their first date in 15 years, without using the word “date.”
- For Black History Month, your class has decided to take a field trip to a historical museum. While you’re in the bathroom, all the lights shut off and you run out to check on what happened. When the lights turn back on, the museum is completely empty… except all of the paintings have slowly started to move….
- Walk into any bookstore of your choice. Find the most beautiful black person. Give them $20 for reparations. This isn’t a prompt. Just instructions on how to better the planet.
- A mysterious package is left on your doorstep. When you open it, you find instructions for building a time machine. It’s signed Malcolm X. What happens next?
- Write a short story about two people who have been married for over 20 years, when suddenly one reveals a dark secret that could change everything.
- It’s the year 3056. Love is illegal. Your main character has never experienced a crush before because every baby is implanted with an Anti-Love chip. One day they wake up to find their chip isn’t working because for some reason… the neighbor next door looks kind of cute….